Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The bib says it all....


Well....we met with Dr. Duckett today who I LOVE. He is just the most down-to-earth, frank, honest doctor that we have ever worked with. I love how he doesn't feel like he should sugar-coat things or hold back any information because of wondering what Preston and I "can handle". So to sum it all up, in the words of Dr. Duckett, "she has a serious problem...she has significant bilateral reflux...but we're going to fix it...and if this is the worst problem she ever has...she's in good shape." Did I mention I love Dr. Duckett?? At about that point in the appointment, I got a lump in my throat and almost got teary but I held it together....and in my true melodramatic self, I started telling him about everything that I had read and what about this? and what about that? and what about Greyson? and what about me? (It is familial in most cases) and once his head stopped spinning, (and probably mine too) he answered all of my questions and calmed all of our fears. Here is the "gameplan" in a nutshell: finish out the antibiotic for her current UTI, continue the antibiotic prophylactically once-a-day, check her urine in 4 weeks, watch her for "breakthrough" UTIs, repeat the ultrasound in 3-4 months to check her kidney function and to just keep an eye out for deterioration and then repeat the "dye test" at 1 year, next March. All of this is subject to change depending on how she does with infections, antibiotics, etc. during the next 8-9 months. Once she is a year old, we will most likely have any remaining reflux corrected with an endoscopic procedure called "deflux" which is actually an outpatient procedure. Preston and I breathed a HUGE sigh of relief that any procedures won't be done immediately and that she will have time to get a little older. We also feel totally confident in Dr. Duckett, who, did I mention I love? Thanks for all of the thoughts and prayers...we appreciate them all!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment